Thursday, June 14, 2007

Turdus!

I often wonder how the English language can be so different and still be called English.
That's just a slight wonder.

A bigger wonder is how on Earth can this UGLY thing be called a robin? Not at all festive.I almost choked on my tongue when I was told that was a robin. I've seen plenty of robin's in my life and that is not what I've been seeing.

This cute little thing is a robin.


It's about half the size of the Turdus migratorius. Yes, that's right. Turdus. The Latin name for the American robin. Is Turdus. The American and European robin's aren't even related.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

You're a smart cookie. Do Canadians have their own robin too? A non turdus perhaps?

Glen said...

I will need to take all night and ponder this one.

Laura said...

I couldn't find a canadian robin... if you've seen one that's big and mangy then it's a turdus, if not, congratulations.

Daniello Dello said...

Hehehe I remember this day. You like looked out the window and was all like "What the heck is that?" When I told you it was a robin you didn't believe me. Granted he did look like a very old worn out robin. But now I know to call them by their true name. Turdus.