Friday, November 2, 2007

Football, our not quite favorite thing.

Today has been a planned 'fun day'. To begin with I went to Stuart's religion class with him then we went to get a pizza for lunch/dinner from Tomassito's.We came home and I started writing my article for an Immigration publication that's due at the end of the week. I started and wasn't sure how I'd get it to sound good. I'm still working on it. Then we went to get Danielle and stopped at the super market to get some doughnuts because I'd been craving them for a week. I wanted doughnut holes but Stuart said doughnut chunks are just as good and when you bite a doughnut you get a chunk... or something. We picked up a couple of cheapo travel cups to take a hot drink/banana milk with us to the football game. This picture is payback for all those terrible pictures of me that Danielle keeps putting on her blog...
We got in for the start of the national anthem which really excited me. I suppose I'm still learning how to be American because I couldn't work out what/where everyone was looking during the song. Danielle and Stuart both very kindly/mockingly pointed out the little American flag afterwards.
They don't do kick-off's here because apparently people get hurt (?) It's football but... people... get hurt... I don't get it. I was a little disappointed because I actually like seeing people get hurt whilst playing sports. I think I was expecting it to be more like rugby. I think American football is perhaps a little sissy-ish. Disagree with me and I'll punch you in the throat. :oD
Stuart was good at explaining it all to me but for a long time I didn't understand who was throwing the banana's... it was actually the referee's yellow card thingy. It started bugging me after a bit and I actually asked Stuart why they didn't stop the banana throwing.
I was cheering for the Hurricane's because I like orange juice and Stuart was cheering for the Titan's because they've hardly lost a game. I bet you can guess who was winning 20-6 when we left in the third quarter? Oh yes, my beloved Oranges!

There wasn't a marching band so we made our own. Actually we did leave early and so help me there better not be a marching band! That was something I was REALLY looking forward to. On owr way out we made our own. I was playing trumpbone because I actually used to really play it and Danielle, bless her was playing something that I couldn't guess what it was from the sounds she was making...

7 comments:

ciaobella said...

Laura, you're such a riot! :) We've got to get together sometime.

Scott and Stacia said...

Hey you...didn't realize you had a blog (I just knew of your picture site). Glad I found it. You make me laugh...I am coming here often :)

Tracy Ngu said...

ROFL! Throwing the bananas!! You are too funny!

I love your blog, you always look like you are having the best time!

Daniello Dello said...

Hahaha! I suppose I deserve those wierd pictures of me posted on the internet... Stuart and I agreed that our football games in high school were way more exciting. Sorry your first experience of football was a sissy one. Plus it probably doesn't help that they weren't playing on real grass so it was lots easier just to drag each other. But you know you had fun!!!

Daniello Dello said...

By the way, I was playing a clarinet thank you very much!!!

Sherpa said...

American football is different than rugby, that being said, American football is really only fun at the high school or college level. Pro football sucks.

Trude said...

i wondered about the banana throwing too ..