Thursday, January 24, 2008

15 years.

Today marks the 15th birthday of my youngest sister, Caitlin. Tuesday will mark the 15th anniversary of her death. It's strange to think that 15 years have passed. It doesn't seem like that long and then when I think about all the milestones she would have accomplished by now and the things I've accomplished and overcome it seems like forever. Hmmm.

Today I found some notes my dad had written on her family history file. I thought it was quite something that I found it today of all days:

Caitlin was six days old when she died. I (her father) held her in my arms as she slipped away. I would gladly have given my life for her to have been made well. We all loved her and were looking forward to looking after her and watching her grow. She was small and beautifull, perfect. For the short life that Caitlin had she touched a great number of lives.
I was able to give Caitlin her name and a blessing about an hour before we lossed
her. I felt pain in a way that I never have before.

Caitlin was six days old when she died.

It just reminds me to keep behaving so I can be with her for eternity.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Oh dear. I didn't know you had a sister who died. Your poor mom!

Rusti said...

I didn't know about that. What a sweet motivatation to be your best, huh?

Shannon said...

Parents who lose children must be the strongest souls ever. I would end up in a mental hospital.