Saturday, February 9, 2008

Gladiatoooorrrs Ready...

I LOVE American Gladiators. LOVE. IT.
It reminds me of being wee and on Saturday nights having a bath. We were never allowed to go outside after having a bath and we always had a bath on Saturday. We'd watch all the Saturday night TV shows - Blankety Blank, Stars in Their Eyes, Big Break, The Generation Game, Catch Phrase, Beadles About, Noel's House Party etc... And Gladiators. It brings back so many memories. Ours wasn't American Gladiators but UK Gladiators.

We also had Blind Date but it isn't anything like the American Blind Date.


"Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be..." Stars in Their Eyes was another brilliant one that I really miss. I don't know if there was an American version or not. The idea was 5 contestants per show would get made up to look like the singer they sounded like. They'd sing a song and whoever was the best look-a-like and sound-a-like would be the winner. Then they'd have a big finale where all the winners would go against each other. It was fun trying to guess who would be who from their little home video introduction.

These days there are shows on Friday night that get a lot of attention in our house (Moonlight, Monk, Psych) - not from me, I'll add. The shows aren't family shows and they're not as entertaining. I like a good laugh.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I love that idea of the show "stars in their eyes"! That would be a fun show to watch. All our game show type things used to be strictly day time shows. I liked balderdash, family feud, hollywood squares, and match game. 10,000 dollar pyramid was good too. Someone would always do/say something to make you laugh. We used to try to get to stay home sick so we could have a day of game shows. Mom was a teacher so it didn't work too often for me. Now they have the gameshow network. Your game sounds more fun though.

Elaine said...

I love American Gladiators too! HMM...