Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The California list:

I've always dreampt of going to California and seeing all the sites. In 3 weeks we'll be heading down to Disneyland with Stuart's family for a few days then the rest of the week we'll be in San Diego.

I've always been fascinated with the history of places and love seeing things. I think I inherited that from my dad. I've never actually been to a theme park before. Growing up I spent a lot of time in old places like York ("The North's spiritual capital for 2000 years, York is central to Britain's colourful history..."), Largs ("It was the site of the Battle of Largs in 1263, in which parts of a Scottish army attacked a small force of Norwegians..."), The Scottish Glens (as seen in the Harry Potter films. Here's some more films with Scottish scenes.) So going to Disneyland will be a new thing. When we go back though I want to see things.

1. The Hollywood sign.
2. The Golden Gate Bridge.
3. The Getty Centre.
4. In 'n' Out burgers.
5. Alcatraz.
6. Fisherman's Wharf.
7. Pier 39 - sea lions.
8. Jack Kerouac Alley.
9. Grauman's Chinese Theatre.
10. Kodak Theatre.
11. Lombard Street.
12. Old Sacramento.
13. Santa Monica Pier.
14. Yosemite National Park.
15. Hollywood Walk of Fame...

8 comments:

Hilary said...

In San Fran there is a 4 level Old Navy, and I've heard an even bigger H&M... just so you know

Hilary said...

Oh and haight ashbury in san fran is where the hippies started and is the home of the first Ben and Jerry's

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

I've been to pretty much all of those places, and they are great! I am so excited that you will be going to where I grew up. I was actually born right by Disneyland, and I grew up within a 45 minute drive from it. Think of me when you see all the palm trees. Tell them all I miss them!!!

By the way, the city I actually grew up in most of my life is called Riverside. So when you see those freeway signs that say "Riverside" on them, just know I lived that direction.

Brooke said...

The absolute best way to experience the Golden Gate Bridge is to rent a tandum bike and ride across it with your hubby. Just thought I'd let you in on that little secret!
Whenever you decide to hit Old Sacramento give us a call we'd be happy to see you guys!

I myself would not mind seeing Scotland!

Laurie said...

Oh, a couple more things to consider if you will...

While at the Santa Monica Pier, within walking distance is the 3rd Street Promenade. It's the perfect place to have lunch or dinner. It's awesome.

Also, while in the LA area, PLEASE try to go to Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. The locals say you haven't experienced LA until you've eaten there. And it's true. Get the plate that has chicken AND waffles... to DIE for!

In San Diego, there's the coolest place called The Gaslamp District. If you have time.

Oh, and I have to say, about Disneyland... TRY to get there when the gates open and make a BEELINE for the Finding Nemo ride! If you get there early,it's about a 30 minute wait. But any later in the day, you'll be waiting in the hot sun for at least two hours. Are you guys getting parkhopper tickets? If so, you must, I repeat, YOU MUST go on Soarin' Over California. The locals will tell you that the cost of admission is worth it just to go on that ONE ride. Best ride ever.

Uh, forgive the unsolicited advice. I swear I can never keep my mouth shut when talking about California, I just love it so much!

nava_jo said...

16. THe Romo's who live right off the I5.

Awesome I can't wait until you come to site see us. I am SO glad we made the list. :)

Jessica and Tanner said...

And to add to all the advice on where to go... if you're headed for the beach in San Diego (my hometown), check out La Jolla Shores. My favorite beach ever.

And OH MY GOSH... yesterday I felt like my skin was melting while we were outside. I felt like an abusive mother for letting her play for as long as she did out there!

Chiemi said...

Those are some fun things! I hope that you get to see everything on your list. You must be making a road trip from the top of the state all the way down. Sounds like you will be in my neck of the woods for a while. I love The Getty. If you get a chance to go the the Getty Villa in Malibu you should. It is absolutely LOVELY! If you need a tour guide for So. Cal just say the word. :)