Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Puke and stuff.

Sorry there's no pictures with this one...

So, yesterday I woke up around 5am and ran to the kitchen to grab a bowl. I wasn't baking. I then sprinted to the loo where I began to spew my lovely guts out. It had been 6 years since I last vomited, the longest I've ever gone. Stuart woke up to the sounds of my hysterical puking and was quite shaken. He couldn't go back to sleep so instead he waited until my chunks had steadied and then ran out to Broulims for Gatorade (the orange kind) because it seemed it was going to be a long day. When he arrived home he ran to the bathroom and began sharing his guts in all their glory too.

It was a long day. Long and stinky and noisy. Just this morning we were able to finish our first bottles of Gatorade and are even thinking about toast!

I don't remember what time it was when I called Megan, but I do remember the image of Stuart zonked out on the couch and how jealous I felt because I couldn't sleep. I couldn't even lie down because when I sat back up my innards came out to greet me. Anyway, back to the important bit. I called Megan and I realised for the first time my voice was all quiet and wimpy, I was however astounded that she recognised it (does it always sound like that?) and asked if I was ok. I explained we were very not well and I needed her to help me find a couple of Priesthood holders. Right then she says 'oh, I see Bryce at the playground.' I could see him from kitchen window too. Megan called out to him and explained the deal and then said Bryce would be over soon with Justice.

I woke Stuart up and told him. He might have been excited, I don't know. With his lips so white and dehydrated it makes it hard to recognise emotion, along with the wimpy voice.
A short while later Bryce and Justice arrive dressed in their Sunday best. They chatted a little and then we got down to business.

In the church I belong to (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or Mormon church) we believe that the same power Jesus used to heal the sick is on Earth now. We call it the Priesthood. It's held by men who are interviewed and set apart to hold it. They also live their lives in a way that considered worthy to hold such a brilliant power. Just like you wouldn't give a 6 year old a drivers license. The Priesthood is very important and treated with respect.

So to get back to it, we were very sick. Stuart was thinking it was salmonella because of our symptoms and I can't argue with him. It was bad. Very bad. If it wasn't salmonella then it was probably something else, like the plague.

I sat down and with consicrated oil, set apart for the annointing and healing of the sick and afflicted I was annointed and then had the opportunity to have that annointing sealed with a blessing. Then it was Stuart's turn.

When they left, Stuart and I both lay down on the couch and slept, a complete and proper sleep for a few hours. We haven't been sick since then and we are feeling almost totally better - we're on our way to being totally better - like I said, toast!

It's experiences like this that strengthen my testimony in my religion and I just thought I should share it :)

11 comments:

sissyann said...

Oh my!!! I am so glad you got a blessing and are feeling better! :

Ryan and Cecily said...

That sounds really awful!! I'm glad you're both feeling better now. Thanks for sharing.

Linzi said...

My sweet Laura! I hope you feel better. We were hit with the same sickness in our family. If you need me, call me!

Greg and Michelle said...

Isn't the priesthood great! I hope you are feeling better!

Jon and Sarah Jackson Family said...

What a drag! I hate puking and stuff. It's the worst. I'm glad you were able to get a blessing, and I'm glad you're on the mend. Feel better.

Schows said...

Awe my poor Laura!! I'm so sorry you were so sick! airhead old me thought, "hmmm Laura and I didnt do cards... i should call her". So glad your on the mend! Let me know if I can do anything!

Tucker Family said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. There is nothing worse than up chucking.

abritdifferent said...

Isn't it amazing how we can always remember the last time we threw up?

Tracy Ngu said...

Oh that is so not a fun thing to go through! I am glad you are feeling better and I hope you don't get that sick again! Blech!!

Aimee said...

Hey Laura. This is Aimee Raybon. Found your blog through Faith's. I'm sorry you were sick. I think you're right about it being the plague, because our family got it too. Glad you're feeling better. Thank you for sharing your experience. It strengthened my testemont too.

Megan Marie said...

You sounded so wimpy I thought you might be playing a practical joke. It was really hard to figure out who was on the phone since I get calls from Scottish people besides you soooo often.