Monday, December 29, 2008

Edzell day.

Yesterday we came home from church and got changed, packed up a lunch of turkey and ham sarnies, crisps and a bottle of shloer and headed out for a Sunday drive. We went up to Edzell.

We stopped at the shakkin brig ...
On the way back to the car dad pulled out his flint and knife and showed us how to start a fire with some bark he had in his pocket.
Stuart got to go first and took a long time to get his fire started.
Then it was my turn...
Look how happy I made my mum! Dad even said "oh, she's got a good action going on." I took a fraction of the time Stuart took to get his going :DThen we went off to Edzell castle which is a pile of rubble really. I didn't even take a picture and dad didn't even stop the car. We kept going and ended up at a little graveyard...
Just down the road from there there's a little bridge that goes over the river.
It was closed, probably because of how frightening it was.
See?

Then back to the grape we went and onward...
We went away on to the Brown and White Caterthuns.

And in true Stronach tradition we had a picnic in the car...
We ended the day in Edzell at Martin and Sharon's where we gatecrashed their dinner and chatted til it got very dark.

9 comments:

Melinda said...

I love your photos. I feel like a tiny piece of me gets to be in Scotland with you. So fun to see where you are from, Laura.

Beth Adams said...

Well we know whom will have to take care of whom when a real emergency happens. Good job Laura!!! Want to help out with girl's camp this year?

Chiemi said...

It sounds like you are having a blast over there!! I love that you kick stuarts butt at lighting a fire. AWESOME!

bethiepoos said...

I miss shloer!! Im sorry but.... martinelli!!!! NA that doesnt cut it

Shannon said...

That sign! The bridge one... what freakin language IS that?
And why does your daddy carry bark in his pocket? Just curious.
Lastly, I love you. That's all.

Laura said...

Shannon: The sign is English but in Scottish. It says - grassy valley, shaking bridge, North Esk River... and the rest you can work out, I'm sure ;)

Why does my dad carry bark in his pocket? What a nonsensicle question. Why wouldn't he? Why on earth not? Don't you carry bark in your pocket?

I love you too :)

Shannon said...

I carry lint in my pocket. Lint and weapons...just in case.
You Scottish folk are freaks.

emma said...

Gassy Brae!? I never noticed that before, I always thought it read 'grassy brae. Do u think its dangerous to light matches on it?..

Laura said...

emma: Dad says it is Gassy Brae, so it must be AND didn't you see the pictures of us lighting fires there? It is safe afterall, I do wish I had thought of that before we made the fires though. It could have turned very messy.