Friday, January 9, 2009

Home, sweet freezing, home...

I don't really know where to begin. It seems like traveling away from Scotland takes longer than it does to actually get there, even though we had shorter layovers and such...

We rolled into Rexburg just after 4pm last night - seems like much longer ago. It was unbelievably windy and absolutely freezing. I had to try and remember why on earth we were coming back here and then I saw Linzi's gloriously happy face. Friends. Love them. We're almost all unpacked and settled. We went to bed around 9 and got up at 8:30am - I'm making the most of my jetlag in getting started on my goal of getting up earlier.

So, let's go back to Wednesday morning. We got up around 7ish and crammed all our stuff in the grape AKA dad's car, and headed to Edinburgh. We got there at 9ish and sort of milled around a bit saying our goodbyes. Dad tried to make it easier for me to leave by telling me he hated me and to go away. Surprisingly it did make me stop crying for a bit as I burst out laughing. I think I've mentioned before that when I leave home my dad has whispered a little gem of wisdom in my ear this time he messed up by whispering that last gem he gave me - Enjoy the journey. Then he fixed it by explaining that this is a different journey, every day is a different one so enjoy it too. I don't think he can really use that one again... In his defense I did have a fathers blessing the night before and I had a lot to think about from that. Lots of great council and blessings.

My mum gave me several things to think about as we hugged and I wiped my snotty nose on her shoulder. On Christmas eve we watched It's a Wonderful Life. Mum hadn't seen it before and I think it really effected her. She told me to make my life wonderful because it's really up to us to do that, just like in the film.

After that we went through security. It took all of 7 minutes when Stuart was expecting it to take an hour - hence why he peeled me away from my parents. Who doesn't like a torturously long farewell?...

Our flight boarded at 11.30 so we had a lot of time to sit and hang about. Whilst we were waiting we witnessed someone being arrested out in the airport carpark. I didn't take a picture this time.

The flight boarded and we got settled in for the first 7 hours of our journey. Honestly, I was feeling quite fragile leaving home this time. It felt like leaving my home as it burned to the ground. There was so much I wanted to protect and take care of before going that I had no chance of doing. Damage I can't fix from here. Damage I can't fix at all. But I held it together and really didn't cry that much unlike another girl on the flight.

The girl was sitting one row behind and across from us. We were on a plane that only had 2 rows of 3 seats, Stuart and I were the only people in our row. Early on in the flight the girl, bless her heart burst out crying really loudly. To begin with we had no idea what the sound was but as we looked about we spotted the 18-20 year old girl sitting by the window (we ruled out fear of flying because of this fact) being comforted by her mother as her younger brother looked on. So strange, we thought. She continued to burst out wailing and sobbing for the whole flight! Each time she did I would say to Stuart, "I'm totally fine" because I'd only cried a couple times and never made a sound compared to this girl. One minute she'd be fine and laughing then she'd burst out crying so loudly... it was weird. I have no idea what was wrong with her.

We got in to JFK and reclaimed our baggage for security and then went off for our 4 hour layover during which I befriended a missionary who was heading home from Albania and Stuart bought me an I <3 NY tshirt. The tshirt means a lot to me because Stuart isn't one for wasting money on souveniers.

Our flight to Salt Lake was another 5 hours. By the time we were boarding the plane I was done. For me it gets to the point where I don't even care where I'm going. I just need to be somewhere and be done - so any emotionalness is completely gone by that point which is nice. We got in to Salt Lake at 11.30pm (6.30am GMT) and was greeted by Lauren. We got to her house and to bed around midnight. Our shuttle left SLC at 12pm yesterday and we got home just after 4...

It was a long journey and I'm glad to be home.

1 comment:

Beth Adams said...

I totally understand what you are saying. Sometimes you are so tired and worn out nothing matters anymore except to be home again. I'm glad you got to go, and I'm glad you're back safe.