Friday, January 30, 2009

I'm no Buddhist butt.

I was thinking last night as I was falling asleep. Why do we need blankets? I understand that they keep us warm but we also have clothes that keep us warm, and radiators so why do we need blankets. The part that puzzles me the most is that I know for a fact that I can't sleep without one. I *need* blankets. Why? Are we conditioned to need them?

I was also thinking about Buddhism. In high school I took a Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies class and we studied Buddhism quite deeply. Buddhists have what they call Three Universal Truths - things that don't change and will always happen and be.

Anicca - everything changes.
Anatta - non-self
Dukkah - suffering

Surely, there should be something about blankets thrown in there? Everything does indeed change, there always will be suffering, we all have souls AND we all need blankets...

So, what gives? What's the deal with blankets? Why do I love and collect blankets? Who started the whole blanket thing? How do you feel about this?

7 comments:

Danielle said...

I agree. Blankets are totally essential to happiness. I know I would be pretty depressed without them.

CTR2002 said...

All I know is that I love my blanket. :)

Jessica said...

I think it all begins as newborns, when we're wrapped up tightly in a cuddly blanket. Maybe it's programed into us from that early on?

Blanket=Comfort

Although, my husband doesn't need one at all. I wonder if it says something about one's personality?? I definitely need some covers when I sleep, at least a sheet. But then there are those who hate using such a thin blanket and NEED a comforter. Hmmm,,, a lot to ponder...

C, D, and S Henderson said...

My husband hates that I collect blankets! He loves sleeping with just the sheet but I have to have a blanket too!

Shannon said...

Blankets area must. I think it comes from being in the womb?
When I moved to Mexico and no air conditioning and was sweating my butt off I would still wrap myself in a big duvet every night. Strange, huh!

Beth Adams said...

It's security. Mark has to have the blanket tucked up around his shoulders and up to his ears every night. I like the weight although it could be a very thin blanket as long as I am covered. I also prefer my arms out. Claustrophobia. I once threw up in my mothers bed because my head got covered by blankets while I was sleeping and when I woke up I didn't know where I was. Wierd huh?

abritdifferent said...

I love my covers all the way up to my neck and have almost converted Bryan too. I would never have sat with a blanket on my legs on the couch in Scotland, and now can't bear not to when it's cold outside (even if it's warm inside).