Sunday, March 15, 2009

Anthony, the Saint

On Friday Hilary took me to St. Anthony because it's a place she's spent a lot of time in since being here in Rexburg and because I couldn't very well leave Rexburg without ever visiting St. Anthony once. Which I agreed with. She told me about a few exciting things I'd see so I made sure to have my camera battery charged and ready. 

The first exciting thing being a giant log bed by the side of the road...
Then we spotted this ginormous nest on top of a bridge. Everything IS big in America!
We took a Sportsman's access to see where it went. For the first time since I've been here I saw lovely countryside. 

I almost felt jealous of the people who live out there.
Then we hit St. Anthony which made me feel all giddy and excited. This is probably nothing for people who've lived here but for me it was like driving into the set of a wild west film. I've never seen anything like it in real life. Hilary promised we'd come back so I could get a better look. I'm planning on doing a photoshoot there before we leave.
We stopped to eat our lunch so we could go to the park that Hilary really wanted to show me.
I wish we could be here for a summer to experience this park. It was so cool. (Megan and Olivia, you need to come here in the summer and take pictures for me!) It has a huge tiered sandbox leading down to the river, a flume slide into the river, picnic area, diving board, wooden fort play area... it's all just too cool.
I want to play there.
Then we headed back to the car to go to the other park. We would have walked but there was too much snow.
I hung out here on the ski chair whilst Hilary took care of her preggo bladder.
There's a few War memorial's in this small area - and fisher men too.

Another War memorial. I'm all about those. They make me a little emotional.

This might be my favorite picture from the trip.
The river is still iced over.

The play area is back behind the little dam. There are people who live right by the river who have a huge slide coming down from their balcony/ top deck into the river. 



This picture best represents Idaho.
Saint Anthony main street. So cool! A lot of the buildings are boarded up and abondoned. That added to the Wild West feel but was also pretty sad because this is actually 2009...
We went into this drug store and sat at the bar for the best milkshake I've had in a long time. The store was bustling with kids buying penny candy and old people having their lunch. It was cool. I want to own a place like that.
We headed back to Rexburg but not before going past this Boat shaped house. I tried explaining it to Stuart but he thought it was a boat that was turned into a house and not a house built like a boat. We were both pretty entertained by this.
So that was Hilary and Laura's day of fun!

That night we headed over to Olivia and Tyler's to hang out for the first time in a good few weeks.

Yesterday morning I took pictures at a friends baby shower. You can see them here.

Then Stuart and I went into Idaho Falls with Russ and Hilary to go to the Titanic Exhibit. I get emotional at War Memorials. This one just about did me in. When you go in you get a boarding pass that has a name and information on the back of it. Then you travel through rooms that are built like the ones in the Titanic. You see pictures of people, the remains on the bottom of the sea, items recovered from it etc. Then at the end there's a list of survivors and ones who were lost. I survived but my father died. I was first class. Stuart was third class and didn't survive.

I was also able to find the name of my seminary teachers uncle who was travelling first class but was lost. 

"Stead had made two possible premonitions concerning the Titanic. On 22 March 1886, he published an article named "How the Mail Steamer Went Down in Mid-Atlantic, by a Survivor",[5] where a steamer collides with another ship, with high loss of life due to lack of lifeboats. Stead had added "This is exactly what might take place and will take place if liners are sent to sea short of boats". In 1892, Stead published a story called From the Old World to the New,[6] in which a White Star Line vessel, the Majestic, rescues survivors of another ship that collided with an iceberg."

At the end of the tour there are stories of people who were on the Titanic. One was of a woman and her two sons who tried to hold hands as the ship went down. Her sons were young teenagers who were seen as men so they weren't allowed on the lifeboat. The mother wouldn't leave them so they all held hands as the ship went down. They lost hold of one another. The mother survived but her sons were lost, never to be seen again.

That was where Stuart and I both struggled to hold back tears.

So, there you have it. What a busy weekend! 

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

The boat house is my favorite! I heard that the guy built the house because his was destroyed in the Teton Dam flood. That's just plain gossip though. Who knows if it is true.

emma said...

I dont know if it is the place or the pictures, there is something very haunting about.. makes me feel sad and gives me the jeebies a bit!

Megan said...

I've seen that house, but I never knew where it was! Once upon a time, during my sophomore year, these guys took me and my roommates driving to random places one night, and I had no idea where we were the entire time. They took us to see an x-wing that someone had in their yard, and then they took us to see Noah's ark, aka that boat house you took a picture of. Now I know where I was on that random night those many years ago.

Jessica Bjorn said...

Gorgeous pictures! You should get up to Warm River and Mesa Falls, beautiful places!

Hilary said...

Our day of fun was just that, soooo fun! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and was especially excited to see a picture of my favorite trees :)

Random note- I probably won't make it to your house on Tuesday night, I have a VT appt... but I will see you on Wednesday.

Megan Marie said...

love the photos!

Danielle said...

I kind of want to go to that Titanic Exhibit. I know I would get way emotional too. Plus it looks like you had lots of fun. I like your pictures.

Lauren said...

Your St. Anthony tour took me back. I worked in St. Anthony the entire time we lived in Rexburg. It is the best small town. I miss Falls drug and the sandbar (which is what the locals call the play area with the slide and the beach by the river). Thanks for bringing back the memories.

bequi said...

You are a fantastic photographer! Those are beautiful pictures!!!