Sunday, May 10, 2009

To all the otha mutha's...

Since it's Mothers Day and I'm scared I'm bugging my mum with all the love blogs I keep writing to her I'm now going to start talking about my sisters in a Mothers Day sort of way because - as I'm almost constantly reminded through my obvious lack of children and not-lack of husband - we can still be mothers without children. So even though you're not my mother doesn't mean you haven't had a mothering influence on me...

Aaaaand away we go!

Wendy: I've always recognised how nurturing and mothering you are. Last time we talked I told you about how I hated Cheese and Onion crisps and how one time when we lived in Brechin I was feeling poorly and you came in to give me a kiss and tuck me into bed. You had just eaten Cheese and Onion crisps and as your loving lips touched my sickly face the smell of your cheesy and oniony breath pelted me and I spewed everywhere. Yeah, it's a funny story but I appreciate that you love me and wanted to take care of me. I remember fondly lying on your bed on your blanket that felt like dinosaur skin and talking to you about the Big Bang and the Loch Ness monster and stuff. And all those weekends where you'd come get me and take me to stay with you for the weekend. I remember it all and appreciate it. Thanks for mothering me.

Emma: I appreciate what you did for me when I first went to Montrose Academy. I know I was a pain and that having your little sister tag along with you and your friends was really annoying. I don't know what I would have done at the time if you hadn't let me do that though. I'm sort of embarrassed by how much I clung to you then. Thanks for never being mean to me or abandoning me. Those were tough times. I'm also grateful for the times you took me to art school with you and shared that with me. Or for when you threw together a school uniform for me out of your own wardrobe because I slipped through the cracks or whatever. I appreciate all of it. Thanks.

Beki: When I think of mothers you're always the second person I think of - naturally our mum is who first pops into my head but you are the next greatest example to me. You've been through a lot and times were hard. I think we became better friends and sisters then though. It surprises me that things for us got better as we learned to depend more on each other back then. Cameron is amazing. I'm sure your other children are too but I don't know them like I know him. I haven't witnessed your magic motherly touch on them. Thanks for letting us be involved in Cameron's life and for sharing him with us. I've learned so much from you on how to be an amazing mother. 
I loved the little squabbles you and Cameron would get in back then. You two were like an old married couple, bff's. I want to have that kind of relationship with my kids when they aren't invisible, like they are now ;)

1 comment:

emma said...

I have known some wonderful good mothers who have not birthed children. Mother hearts.

Wendy also feeds people like a mother.. she'll make sure you've had a good meal. I used to have her sing me to sleep when I was younger and I would confide in her and turn to her first if I had any embarrassing questions.

Laura Porridge I knew what it was like to start at a new school- I had changed academy school's three times by the time I was 13 years old. It was nice to let you see my world and have you in it too. Although I began to worry that you were getting too happy with my friends and I that you would not make friends your own age.. but ya did ofcourse! :)