Friday, September 11, 2009

Forward facing, future chasing...

Last night I informed Stuart that we're having a huge 10th Anniversary Party ie. The Reception I wish we'd had - we're more than half way there! His reply was, "Oh really?" which actually means, "Super! I can hardly wait!" I'm quite sure of it. I have some theme ideas in mind already...

I didn't plan on posting about those plans quite yet but was inspired by Naomi of The Rockstar Diaries who shared this link to Joanna of A Cup Of Jo who has a series of posts written by different people entitled: Secrets To A Happy Marriage. The posts tickled my heart and got me to thinking; what would I say are our secrets to our more-than-happy marriage? Well, lucky for you I have some things to share. (I'll tell you more about my Celebration of Love/10th Anniversary Party later.)
1. Stuart and I don't go to bed without each other. This happens to be one of Nie Nie's secrets to her happy marriage also. Whilst dating we often spoke about how much we couldn't wait until we didn't have to say 'goodbye' to one another at the end of the day. How much we looked forward to spending our sleep together. We go to bed together, laugh/chat for a bit, say our goodnights/I love yous, we hold hands and fall asleep. It's a special time.

2. We're silly together. I think our silliness is quite evident on this blog. There's more than enough seriousness in this world without us adding to it when it isn't needed. We joke a lot. We laugh a lot. We laugh at each other a lot. We do stupid/embarrassing things just to make each other laugh. I love his smile and he loves it when I suffocate with laughter.

3. We remember how I found him. It's a miracle to us. We don't believe in 'The One' but he's the one I want and I'm the one he wants. We make each other 'The One'.

4. We say 'I love you' in different ways. Stuart often tells me, "you're my best friend" or "you're my favourite" and sometimes I'll tell him "I need you" in reply to "I love you"... We say the actual words "I love you" about 10 billion times a day along with our other ways of saying it. We're not embarrassed to say it in front of people either. I'm not embarrassed to yell it at him in the middle of the Target carpark either.

5. We're on the same team. Whenever he gets snippy with me I let him finish what he's saying then I'll say something like "did you mean to speak to me like that?" and he'll say "nooo, I was just upset" and then I'll say "that's what I thought because I know you know I hate it when you talk to me like that" and he'll say "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it" then I'll say "ok, now tell me what's bothering you." We communicate well. Our problems get solved quick. If either of us are bothering the other - which happens now and again - we can say "you're bugging me" and it's fixed. If he asks for my opinion he'll get it even if it isn't what he wants to hear and we can discuss it without being mean or rude to each other. I love that we can talk.

How does this make you feel?

1 comment:

Scott and Stacia said...

I love it!! Scott and I have really been talking more and more about how we are so great for eachother. Another one of our friend couples are getting divorced -- we really are thankful that we have a happy life and work towards our marriage. I love your list...I think we should all start one :) Thanks for the inspiration!