Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Birthday traditions.

I'm sure you might have heard - seeing as I'm so obnoxious about it right now - that it's my birthday tomorrow! You did hear, didn't you? Thought so.




Right now I'm thinking about birthday's gone by and Stronach family traditions. I'm SO excited to have children some day to carry on those traditions with. I can't wait to have kids and know that on their birth eve they're lying in bed trying not to throw up because of excitement. Isn't that the best?!

In my family there's no such thing as waiting until later to open presents - same goes for Christmas. They're opened at the crack of day on my mum and dad's bed surrounded by siblings who'd rather be asleep. I think part of the reason we did it that way was because my mum and dad were too excited to wait for us to open our gifts. Right, parents?

Here's what will be happening tomorrow:
I'll wake up at 6am to open presents because that's when Stuart gets up. He'll probably try and make me wait to open them until dinner. He'll be educated swiftly. Again.

I'll send him off for the day and then get tidying and prepping for my guest arriving and for dinner.

Then I'll nap probably with my gifts, I'll be wearing everything I received.

I'll wake up and make the filling for the pie we'll be having for dinner and probably peel some potatoes.

My mum will phone me.

My guest will arrive.

I'll finish preparing dinner and get it in the oven.

Stuart will come home.

We will eat and hang out.

Then Lindsay and I will maybe nap (but probably not) because at midnight we have a film to go watch!

Ooooh!

That's how I imagine the day will go. Opening gifts at dinner time would throw the whole thing off!
This is how it's meant to be.

I got distracted again. When we have kids their birthday dinner is going to be exciting. We'll eat party foods off paper plates buffet style - that sounds how a lot of people serve their food here but back home food is plated up by the cook in the kitchen and you'll eat what's on your plate or you'll eat if for breakfast - wait, what? That's another Stronach Family tradition. Haha.

Party food includes: mini pizza, val au vents (which I've been craving birthday style!), sausage rolls, top hats, ham sandwiches (cut in triangles, thank you.), crisps and cream cheese and onion dip, cheese and onion pickle sticks... the list could go on and on.

Do you have a meal you like to have for your birthday dinner?
My meal is spam and sweetcorn pie, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes and carrots.

Do you have birthday traditions? When do you open gifts? Have you created any new traditions of your own?

5 comments:

Chiemi said...

Hmm b-day meal? I personally would want a nice steak and potatoes, with a ceasar salad. Mmmmmm....

I don't have any real birthday traditions, but though with my girls we let them open a present in the morning so they can stand to wait the rest of the day till we open the rest at their party. :)

Lauren said...

B-day meal ham and funeral potatoes with peas and homemade rolls. YUM YUM! Two kinds of potatoes Laura, really??? Is that necessary? :) Tradition: any cake we wanted. Seriously I would say I want a candy cane cake. Viola! A candy cane shaped cake appeared. My brother would want a cookie monster cake. Viola! Crandall wanted a shark cake. Viola! A shark cake appeared.

Nicole Marie said...

happy early birthday!!!

Rachel said...

I always asked for taco salad for my birthday. Doesn't sound too fancy or nothin' but boy do I love it just for my birthday.

That post has got me uber excited for your birthday and we live a thousand miles away from you. Hope it's great! I'll be thinking of you!

Lacey said...

Happy Birthday Laura!!! Thought of you today and wanted you to know that I miss having you around. Hope your day is everything you want it to be-- Your traditions sound like so much fun!