Friday, November 20, 2009

I'm Twenty Five and still alive!

Yesterday I woke up at 6am to help Stuart leave for school. I have to get up with him so I can lock the garage door when he leaves. If you've followed my sleep issues you'll know that it takes me about 2 hours to get back to sleep after waking up but I do it, for him. So I got up, locked the garage and went back to bed. I fell asleep a bit quicker than normal because I didn't stop in the kitchen to clean up - Stuart did the dishes the night before, I didn't check my email - I left that for when I was actually awake. I just went back to sleep. I woke up at 8.30 when the phone rang and decided not to go back to sleep even though I knew I was going to be up until very late.

Anyway, I checked my email and was excited to see an inbox packed full of birthday messages. Best way to start a day!

I got dressed, hoovered the house, peeled potatoes, set up the guest bed, spoke to my mum on the phone :) and took it easy. I was busy but it was all good.
Stuart came home from school then Lindsay arrived an hour later as dinner was being put in the oven.
I made a big spam and sweetcorn pie, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes and green beans as planned.
We ate dinner and it was perfect. Yum. Then at 7pm there was a knock on the door and in came the two couples we know from church carrying a little cake with 4 lit candles in it and they sang Happy Birthday to me! We chatted a bit and they left.

We hung out until 10.30pm when we decided to head to the cinema for our midnight showing of New Moon. We weren't sure how long the lines were going to be. Infact we both thought we might be part of a small handful of people there - this isn't Rexburg after all. AND Linzi Dell was texting me at 7pm telling me she was in line at the cinema in Rexburg waiting for her midnight showing... I'm glad I wasn't waiting in line that long! Ahead of us in the line was a bunch of women from church. I don't know them well enough to talk to them and they'd probably have thought I was trying to skip the line anyway.

We got there and there was a queue but really not as bad as I thought it could have been - nothing compared to Rexburg though I'm sure! We were let in at 11-ish and found seats. We were sitting in the third row from the front. There's a few nipples in that film so I'm sure you can imagine how I felt sitting so close - if you're imagining drooling you're wrong!

We were tired before we left so we pretty much sat in our little worlds due to sleepiness. 25 does that.


excuse my wacky eye. i was really happy.

New Moon: Spoilers ahead, be warned.

First of all, I'm no expert. When I read a book I don't remember details or hardly anything about it once I've finished it. New Moon was my favourite Twilight book though so I think I remember more of the details of that one. I'm also not die hard or a Twihard.

The film starts where the book does. From what I can remember it stays really quite close to the book. There's little things like Alice gives Bella a present at school, or the camera Charlie gives her is digital instead of film, the birthday party scene wasn't as extravagant as in the book but it was fine.... I don't think there was that much different from the book.

The acting in this one was better, hopefully by the next film it's better yet though. I liked the way Jacob's character was in the film and it made me feel even worse for him knowing what happens to him. Stupid.
I think Bella should have cried actual tears in the film. I don't think I saw a fake tear from her at all, not even when Edward leaves her. A little more emotion would have been nice. She did the nightmare screams really good though. Next time she could use a little Vick's in her eyes though, just saying.

The special effects were a lot better too which made the film a little less cheesy I think. There are some Harry Potter-ish effects from the one where Syrius Black dies, that scene even. - See what I mean about not remembering books when I've finished them? I don't even remember what book that is! Although, there are some special effects that look like they were made by me. That made me come out of my New Moon trance to think "What on earth was that meant to be?!" It was distracting and even weirder seeing it followed by some amazing effects. It's the part where Sam is cliff diving and it shows a cool view of him diving and he looks like he's flying then the next thing he's at an odd angle going into very fake water.

Um, what else?... The wolves were good. Two of them reminded me of the hyenas from Lion King though. Goofy.

Jacob's wig was horrific as usual.

Dakota Fanning was a good Jane.

Oh, one scene where Alice tells the Volturi that Bella will be a vampire and he looks at her memory made the whole theatre burst out laughing! That was extra sharp cheddar. Haha! Barf!

Overall I enjoyed it. The most fun of it for me though is spending time with a friend going to see it. I know there's a lot of people out there who are in total love with the books and characters. That's not me. I like getting excited for it and don't take it seriously enough to have it affect me either way. It is what you make of it.

The next one comes out in June. I'm looking forward to it already but not enough for a mid night showing.




So, that's the review! Did I miss anything, do you want to discuss it more? Did you love it or hate it? Were you one of the freaks screaming when Jacob took off his tshirt? Would you like to argue with me about why I've always been Team Jacob? - some people do.


The funniest part of our cinematic experience was listening to a girl behind us talk about when she was in 2nd grade she wanted to dress up as Pretty Woman and her mum let her. It wasn't until much later on in life she realised that at age 6/7 she had dressed up as a prostitute with the help of her mother. Haha.

For my birthday I was very spoiled! I got two pairs of sassy shoes and a pair of lovely boots, urban decay make-up, two books (Stargirl and Changeling or is it Graceling? I can never remember.), jeans, dvds, a cardigan, tshirt, sweeties from home and a 1lb box of See's candy that Stuart was eating before me- rude!, a handmade in Scotland by Helen hat, an awesome Twilight tshirt, a piece of original artwork that I LOVE!, 6 boxes of chocolate Lucky Charms... what else? I was really spoiled!

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

you ARE spoiled!!! and i'm lucky to have contributed... and even luckier to conTINUE to contribute next week!!! :)

Chiemi said...

Sounds like you had a really fun birthday!

Jana said...

I just wanted to be sure you found the surprise in your cardboard cake before you throw it away... Did you?

Beth Adams said...

How dare Stuart eat your See's before you get too! Rude child! Who raised him anyway :o)

Megan said...

I'm glad you had fun! I don't think Kristen Stewart is capable of portraying any emotion other than drunken stupor. Oh, and while I'm am not a Twihard either, I am totally on Team Jacob. At first I was undecided, but I have come to realize how much cooler Jacob is. I don't know how I realized that--it's been a while since I've read the books. Maybe it was because I saw the movie and Edward's nose REALLY bothers me. haha

p.s. You may or may not be receiving a belated present from Danielle and me. We sent it on your birthday instead of before because we are disorganized, but I hope you like it.

Laura said...

Lindsay: I'm really glad you were a part of my Year 25 celebrations. I think we have a lot more mischief to get up to this year.

Chiemi: I had a great day :)

Jana: I did and I love it! It's also going to be a long time before I can throw away that card. It's also very cute.

Beth: Tell me about it. He kept saying "But you don't like nuts" so he was swiping the nutty ones. Cheeky.

Megan: Kristen Stewart did much better in this one. She wasn't so monotone. Alice was also better.
I love Cedward's nose! (Cedward is a mix of Cedric and Edward, Stuart blundered it the other day.) I'll keep an eye out on the post for my present :)

Linzi said...

I'm glad your birthday rocked! We actually were Idaho Falls for the movie but that's a whole different story....*sigh* but I loved the movie. Some parts I snickered at and other parts I really wanted to tell the audience to stop squealing. Overall, it was a good movie. I'm glad you had fun :)

Anonymous said...

I'm team Edward but think the movie Jacob is hot, so I'm movie Jacob. :-) can I do that? Jacob with his haircut not wig Jacob.
I'm glad you had a great birthday and miss you!

Kara

Rachel said...

I totally thought the same thing about the nipples. WHOA! We'll chat more later ;)

mosey along said...

happy belated birthday! and thanks for stopping by. I'm a Canadian expat myself living north of the GGB. One of my best buddies is Scottish too - link from my blog to The Parenting Myth.

Haven't seen New Moon yet but I'm going to go with extremely low expectations and hope for enough eye candy to keep me happy.

cheers.