Saturday, November 14, 2009

Question of the decade.

When I'm sitting in the car being driven around I often wonder about the people we're passing. Where are they going? Where are they coming from? Are they going home? Are they happy? How long is their journey going to be? Who do they love? Do they know anyone that I know?

I wonder a lot.

Other times I think about what it would have been like to have grown up in a different era. What would I have been like if I'd grown up when my parents did? Would I have been able to survive growing up during the war when my grandparents were young adults? What about if I was born in a different country?

This probably explains why I don't sleep well at night.



What decade would you like to have experienced and why?

5 comments:

Megan said...

I've always wanted to live during the 50's. I think they just do a good job of making it look so charming and fun on TV. Drive-ins, sock hops, Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, diners,poodle skirts and bobby socks, burgers and malts, roller skates, sweet cars, boys giving girls their class rings, big hair that I wouldn't know how to create, those black and white shoes...

Tennille said...

That's so funny. I wonder that about people when I'm driving too.
As for which decade? I can't decide, most of them have things that I would have liked to experience. Guess the Lord knew when I needed to be here so I'll learn what I can.

Chiemi said...

I'm with Megan and think that I would like to have lived in the fifties, but that also would have meant I would have lived during the sixties which I think it would have been a shock to my system. So while one small decade would have been nice, I think I would stick with my own life just because I kinda like what I have done so far. :)

Rachel said...

I think I would have loved the 40s. I think of the movie Pearl Harbor and I love all the red lipstick and pretty dresses.

Brooke said...

Oh Laura you’ve asked a question close to my History teacher heart; its right in between my English teacher heart and Mom heart.

Okay so I'd have to say the 50's as well. While I love vintage stuff beyond reasoning, I'd have to chalk it up to the fact that people had morals. Donna Reed was what women aspired to be like, not like [Insert: "loose woman" of your choice]. The Family really was the most important part of society. Just look at the sit-coms of the decade as well as the advertising and innovations.

I HIGHLY recommend the book “Homeward Bound” by Elaine Tyler May. It’s all about families in the Cold War and pretty much sparked my interest enough that my Senior History paper was on Farm Women in the Cold War Era. Ahh fun times!

Yeah then the 60’s happened.