Friday, November 13, 2009

Sleepy head.



A couple of days ago Stuart asked me how I slept the night before. I told him that I'd slept great and that I only woke up about three times. He then asked if I normally I woke up that much and I told him I usually wake up more. I'd say on average I wake up between 4 and 7 times a night. I take a long time to fall asleep and then I wake up often then lie awake for up to an hour trying to get back to sleep. I'm not a light sleeper and noises don't wake me up. Stuart does snore, that's what makes it hard to fall back asleep but I don't think it wakes me up. I also never need to wake up to pee... tmi, I know, let me finish...

So, Stuart said that it's not normal to wake up that many times. He also said that it made sense that I find it hard to wake up in the morning and that he's glad he can stop thinking that I'm just lazy. He gets a solid 8 hours of sleep a night. Apparently when they say you should get 8 hours of sleep a night they mean 8 straight hours? Is that true?

I used to have nightmares regularly and the occasional night terror but that hasn't happened in a few months. I guess part of it could be my back pain but I've had this sleep pattern for as long as I can remember.



 How often do you wake up through the night?

8 comments:

Megan said...

I rarely wake up in the middle of the night. If I do, it's only because nature calls. But my roommate, Dorthy, is a really light sleeper. She sleeps with earplugs, but she still wakes up to everything. She usually goes to bed before the rest of us, so I try to be super quiet when I walk into the room at night, but I know she's going to wake up no matter how softly I walk. Good thing she's patient.

Chiemi said...

Well being pregnant I wake up a couple times a night to go pee, but normally I sleep straight through. Unless I think I hear one of my kids crying.

Lindsay said...

i think you need to be checked for sleep apnea.

Laura said...

I'm sort of upset that this is not normal. I want to sleep through the night like a proper adult!

Lindsay, I thought sleep apnea was when you stopped breathing in your sleep?

Jessica Bjorn said...

There have been very few times in my life where I have slept through the night... it has to be when I haven't slept more than a few hours the night before, and my kids have worn me out that day... and they don't wake up at night.
I used to have TERRIBLE insomnia; sometimes it comes back. But I am so physically exhausted that I can get to sleep easily.
Have you tried cutting off eating after 6pm, ear plugs, and switching to a foam mattress?

Andrea said...

I usually don't have a rough time at night, but sometimes I do hallucinate at night and that will keep me up. Last night was one of those nights :)/:(

Karen said...

Lately I wake up 3 to 20 times a night. Sometimes it just happens, sometimes it's nature or family members. You may have sleep apnea. You should see if Stanford has free tests if they let you be a guinea pig. :)

Karen said...

Though I do like my life. I wouldn't change it to get the sleep. Anxiety doesn't help, either.