Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dyson v Kirby

My favourite housewifey chore is hoovering AKA vacuuming. I have a sweet little pink Dyson which I love, a lot. Last night someone came to our door and asked if they could hoover our carpet for us. I was like, "Erm, ok."
The girl handed me a blue piece of paper and I gave it to Stuart who read it and groaned, "Ugh! Kirrrby! They're going to try sell you a new vacuum cleaner."

"Yeah, they can try."




I'm one of the most laid back people I know. I never really feel pressurised into anything. I rarely loose my patience. That's just me. I was voted "most laid back female" in my last year of high school, just saying. Stuart is panicky and nervous when it comes to talking to people almost always. He takes a really long time to feel comfortable. I won't even mention his nerves when it comes to making phone calls.

When the two lads came in with the hoovers I asked them if I could make it easier for them and not waste their time by letting them know there's no way I'd be buying anything from them. No, no, that's fine they said. They wanted to hoover. Who am I to stop someone from doing my favourite chore that I've neglected for a week?

The boy started by doing a little demonstration by using the Kirby and some round filters to show me how much gross is in my carpets. He did the room and there was about 30 little grubby disks by the end of it. To begin with I was pretty embarrassed but then I thought, "Um, no. Those disks are tiny and when I hoover with the Dyson it fills up half the canister every time even when I hoover every day." I told him that. It looks worse when there's lots of little dirty disks scattered about. I asked him if this was one of the worst he'd seen, he said it was. Hmmm.

He tried hard and explained that there was no pressure for me to buy from him - although he was trying to win a trip to Tahoe. I assured him that he would never be able to pressurise me into anything, ever. He asked why not and I told him that I don't care enough.

His boss called and told him to ask me questions whilst she was on the line. They asked if they could leave us a Kirby for $17 a week would we take it. I said, "No. Whilst I'm sitting here with no health insurance and with a perfectly fine hoover I'm not going to be spending money on a heavy, ugly vacuum." And, to have a boss butt in like that was bad manners. It didn't encourage a purchase.

He did some tests. The banter was brilliant. It was a pretty fun night. He told me that my Dyson is bad for the carpet because it takes dirt off the surface but pushes dirt deeper into the carpet. I told him that even though the Kirby sucks much harder than the Dyson I didn't see how that was good for the carpet either - really, that much suction going over a carpet is going to pull dirt out but it's also going to pull carpet out, right? He said, "no, not at all." His supervisor came in later and said that yes, older Kirby vacuums did damage carpet but this one didn't. The supervisor also said that Dyson was sued recently because they said they used hepa filters in their hoovers but didn't really. We googled that and found no evidence. Bless him.

They also shampoo'd the carpet and I was impressed. I can appreciate a good thing. I'm not against Kirby but I'm not for it. I don't think a carpet needs to be sterile. I just don't care enough and my face is never smashed into the carpet with my mouth open gasping in dirty air from the floor. Their tactics were interesting and I really enjoyed it. Their show and tell experiments are meant to make Kirby look better than anything else. If you fall for that - and can afford to pay $3000 for a vacuum - then that's fine. That's how people sell things.

Over all I think the pro's and con's weigh out against both Dyson and Kirby hence why I don't care either way.

Pros
Dyson:
Quieter
Lighter
Cheaper
No bags to pay for

Kirby:
Sucks harder
Little light on front
Comes with load of attachments
Short bristles kick up more dust I think.

Cons
Dyson:
Made out of plastic - less durable?
No light on front

Kirby:
Expensive
Attachments aren't easy to attach
Heavy
Not as easy to manoeuvre - size, shape and weight?
Noisy

Either way they're both good hoovers and I'm argumentative. I think it was good for Stuart to witness how well I can handle myself. For some reason I think he thinks I can't say "no" if someone's trying to sell me something - like him, haha. He turned very serious when the Kirby kids came into the house. His uptightness was very off putting and weird. A defence mechanism I think. He's dead set against Kirby though probably because the sellers intimidate him.

After the room being hoovered, shampoo'd and hoovered again with the Kirby I did a little vacuuming myself this morning with my "bad" Dyson. It picked up about a quarter of a canister of dirt and fuzz still. Half than usual - over night on a freshly washed and double hoovered carpet.

I still hope Mike gets to go to Tahoe. He put up with a lot when he was here.

9 comments:

Chiemi said...

Ahh Laura, can we be best friends? :)

Laura said...

Of course! haha!

trina said...

i love your posts! my favorite line was "my face is never smashed into the carpet with my mouth open gasping in dirty air from the floor". magic!!!!! hahahahah! i'd love to see you in action. i used to work at this swanky salon and though i DID love their products, they always try to make their product superior, which is dumb, because it's usually not true, no matter who or what it is. great post, L!

jakefry said...

Super funny. We had some meat salesmen come the other day while I was gone. Jake let them in and listened to them drop their prices like 3 times and said no about 100 times. God bless sales people. It's got to be the suckiest job on earth.

-Rach

CTR2002 said...

lol Too fun! I had a vacuum salesman turn up yesterday - too my new house. The one I just moved into and is all hardwood. If they'd shown up on Monday they could've done the apartment I just moved out of... my Bissell died in the middle of doing the moving out cleanup. :)

Actually, a Dyson is on my list of vacuums to buy - they're pretty expensive too though, eh?

Manda said...

Haha! Sean sold Kirbys sometime during our first year of marriage. It was awful! Long hours and hardly any pay because it's so hard to sell the darn things! Luckily, he found a better job soon after. :)

Lindsay said...

Chiemi... sorry but she's already taken. HAH no but seriously.. i would have paid money to see those kirby kids. i would have bought one... or at least entertained the idea... i'm so gullible. yay you for being strong!!! you must have been wearing your uni-jammies... that'll intimidate anyone.

Beth Adams said...

Next time the Kirby boys come to our house I'm calling you for back up!!

bethiepoos said...

hahhaha you are brillo pad laura!