Thursday, December 3, 2009

Education

The final part of my enrolment paperwork was completed last night and to be honest I was a little nervous about it. Nervous for no reason. The part we were waiting on was my transcript evaluation to say that I did indeed graduate high school, which I obviously did.

Part of why I'd been putting off going to school here is that I didn't know what my GPA was seeing as we don't do that in the UK and to be honest, my GPA wouldn't be that good. I've never got higher than a C in any subject ever.

GPA is everything here. Stuart's always talking about his. He's really good at keeping it nice an high. I never felt like I could compete. I didn't want to see my GPA because it would prove how much more stupid I am than Stuart - who is not stupid at all.

The transcript evaluation arrived and on it gave me my GPA, which I wasn't expecting.

Who would like to guess Laid-back Laura's GPA? Go on, guess. Part of me doesn't want to tell you so you'll guess but then part of me is worried you might think I really am stupid... Uuuum...

My GPA is 3.5.

I know!

I guess that goes to show how much different - and may I say "better" British schooling is? I knew it was different and better but didn't realise that my Scottish "C" is actually an American "B". That's quite a big difference I think. When I say "C" I mean the majority of my grades are that, a few are a bit worse.

I also have 15 college credit hours. I don't know what that means but it's something.

I'm clever in America!!

7 comments:

Chiemi said...

Well, well, well, Ms. Smarty pants! I'm fairly terrified to go back to school myself. I've been out of college for over 5 years now. I sometimes wonder if I could even handle it. Good luck with everything!

Tam said...

You're very definitely clever, Laura! That's wonderful!

Mark and Hilary said...

way to go!! I tell Mark all the time that Canadian schools are better (and they have free health care) so we should move there. So far it's a no-go.

Brooke said...

It's true, you are clever in America! I can't say anything for any other countries though...

One thing that I've found about comparing yourself to your spouse in the "smarty" area is that it doesn't really work. Chad's smart in Math and all that other technical crap. Where all my smarts are in the book reading, essay/paper writing, musical stuff. Give me a Math test and I will fail. Now, if you give me an essay to write on comparing Medieval the French and English court systems, that's a totally different story.

Megan said...

I'm glad I live in a country that has lower standards so that my 3.5 means something too. Haha

Lindsay said...

see.. you can do it... americans are dumb.. i made all A's but that's only B's in British school. so see!? we're twins AGAIN!? this has GOT to stop. :) i'm proud of you.

Karen said...

That's so great! If your 15 credits count as equivalents to required classes, that's one less semester of classes you'll have to pay for (and study for).