Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Urine Luck: 2

I'd been dreading today since I heard I'd be going for an ultrasound. The idea of locking a litre of water in my bladder that's only meant to hold a few cups for some reason really gets me worked up. I woke up early today so I could get started on the drinking (haha!) By the time Wendy arrived to drive us to the hospital I was done and I was bursting. I took a bottle of water with me in case I felt I could manage some more.

The almost-half and hour drive to the hospital was murder. The car was shoogly - at least it wasn't the bus. By the time we were half way there I had my legs straight and knees locked so I was barely sitting on the seat. Movement was killing me and you never realise how often watery words are used until you can't stand to hear them. Scottish people say "wee" a LOT. I asked Wendy to sing to me. She sang 3 songs and stopped mid-lyric. The cruelty of these song writers. They obviously write their songs with people who don't need the toilet in mind. We ended with James "Oh sit down" and right then I did not want to be sitting down, on a chair.

We got out and headed back to radiology where I put my gown on. I was doing the pee pee dance. It was bad - the complete opposite of the time I had to do a drug test and couldn't fill the cup, as Kirsten pointed out.

I lay down, the doc skooshed the gel on my belly which sent a shiver right through me and I thought I was going to lose it right then and there on the ultrasound table. I locked my bladder up real tight though and showed it who's boss!

The doctor told me my bladder was good and full. Thanks, doc. No duh. The scan went really quickly because of how full I was. I was looking at the monitor and at the big black circle thinking to myself how amazing technology is and how someday I might be looking at a monitor like that and there'll be a baby in that huge black circle. Then the doctor said, "that's your bladder". Thank goodness I hadn't been thinking out loud!

So, right now I'm just waiting. He said my ovaries looked ok, which means I still don't know what's wrong with me. I have an appointment next week to talk it all over with my doctor.

All that's really left of this story is that I dashed to the bathroom and pee'd for about 10 minutes straight and it felt amazing!

8 comments:

Chiemi said...

I totally feel your pain. When they do ultrasounds when you are pregnant it's pretty much exactly like that. I thought I was going to DIE!

Megan Marie said...

you are so funny. even when you're in scary situations.

Siobhan said...

Never ask Bryan to sing you a song (even though he has a great tenor voice), he'll just sing "Don't go chasing waterfalls". If looks could kill, I tell ya. Hope they get this sorted!!

Jeff and Bethany Davis said...

My 2nd ultrasound when preggo with Katelyn, I did the same thing. I drank tons of water just to be safe. But a couple minutes into the ultrasound, the technician told me to go pees because my bladder was too full and was getting in the way! Gotta love it.

Lindsay said...

glad you are pee free. i was holding my pee until you went today.. so we could suffer as friends. okay that's a lie.. but it sounds nice, doesn't it? hah.. post as SOON as you know something lovie.. you have a LOT of people praying for you.

trina said...

one time they made me pee three times before they could properly do the ultrasound. MURDER. i love your stories! and good luck with the doctor, i hope it goes well!

Beth Adams said...

Nothing like having to hold your pee for a test to appreciate how important it is to be able to go and how nice it feels when you finally can!! Hope the Doctors see something in that wee picture they took ( pun intended :o) and that all is well again.

Rachel said...

That story is so funny! Glad nothing 'big' came up and I hope it gets figured out!