Monday, November 15, 2010

Christmas music, why the hate?

I'm prone to exaggeration and have a flair for the dramatics at times but let it be known that I am completely serious when it comes to the hot topic of Christmas music.

Right around Halloween there'll be comments, statuses, even texts questioning and sometimes even blatant aggravation concerning Christmas music being played "too early" because "it's not even Thanksgiving yet". Well, let me tell you I feel very strongly about such bah-hum-buggish attitudes.

Firstly, Christmas is about Jesus' birthday. Why on earth does that alone not make Christmas music "early" acceptable? Why are you getting so annoyed when the music is about Jesus?! These comments seem to come more from Christians, no less! It's like listening to hymns... except you can dance to them.

Secondly, when you think of Christmas does it not conjure up warm, happy, gleeful memories? Does it not make you think of your family and traditions, gifts and food? This is why I listen to Christmas music in June. Sue me. I love those memories.

Third, you are not going to get sick of Christmas music if you start hearing it in November. Honestly. There is SO much Christmas music out there (just look on my mp3 player) and if that was really a valid reason to not enjoy Christmas music before December you ought to be ashamed - and you ought to stop listening to the radio, cd's and everything because you'll get sick of Katy Perry and Justin Beiber too... that last one was pushing it, I know but some people really love Justin Beiber... I wonder if he'll do a Christmas album?

Fourth, when you gripe about Christmas music and how you don't want to hear it you really just sound like Scrooge. You're not spreading Christmas cheer for all to hear. It makes me genuinely sad.

ALSO, Thanksgiving and Christmas go hand in hand. How can you be so stuck on Thanksgiving and be cursing the Christmas music? That doesn't even make sense.

Lighten up, eh? It's Christmas! The most wonderful time of the year and the music only means it's getting closer. Accept it and love it! I will fight this one to the death. I really don't think there's a good, proper reason for Christmas music to only be played in December. There is no logic behind that idea. If you just embrace it you'll feel so much happier and I won't have to get all Christmas-Crazy on you.

Did you know any form of Christmas celebrations were banned in Scotland for 400 years and that if you were caught even baking a mince pie you could be punished by death? Christmas only became "legal" again in Scotland in the 1960's. I'm thankful to have Christmas to celebrate.

"Maybe Christmas", he thought, "doesn't come from a store."
"Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!"
--- The Grinch even gets it.

8 comments:

Trina said...

Oh I SO agree with you! I've been singing Christmas songs to the girls for their bedtime songs, and sometimes even when I know that C has been fast asleep for ages, I still lay there and sing carols to myself. I LOVE this season! Warm fuzzies all around! Cheers!

Bethany said...

AMEN! I feel the same way. The day after Halloween I found one online radio station playing Christmas music and it's been on every day since. :)

I don't know what people's big deal is. Christmas music makes you feel happy-- heaven forbid we be happy any time other than the right "season."

Tracy Ngu said...

I love you Laura! We already have Christmas music playing. It makes me feel good and I like it. That's good enough reason for me.

I do think we need a moratorium on Justin Bieber music though. ;)

Chiemi said...

I personally LOVE Christmas. We watched and play Christmas movies and music all year round. I pretty much love Fall and Winter because I get to party and celebrate non stop for months on end. :D

~Kimi~ said...

YAY!

I'm Bethany Davis's little sister. I stumbled across your blog on her blog. I agree with you 100%!!! Bring on the Christmas music, the decorations, the candy canes, everything!!! Bring it!!!

It makes me happy.

Brooke said...

Bah-Hum-bug! Actually I can stand the music. It's the total decoration overhaul of homes directyl after Halloween that I really really don't get.

Lauren said...

I love you! And Christmas music!

Megan Marie said...

I was a little scared when I started reading because I thought you were going to make fun of me and my music. I was already listening to a pandora Christmas station. I love that you say to stop fighting it! I fight it every year, but you are so right! I'm so THANKFUL for Christmas spirit this thanksgiving.