Friday, December 24, 2010

2010: A recap.

2010 has been quite the year for us. It's been jammed packed with goings-ons and yet it's passed in what seems like the blink of an eye and with surprisingly few photos to show for it.

We ended  2009 with my older brother Andrew and his (then) girlfriend, Jenna. It was a fun, low key Christmas in California.
In January I started on the journey towards getting my degree in Graphic Design through an online school. Starting the year this way sets the tone for the rest of the year. Between Stuart's schooling and mine (and work) we've been kept really busy and try our best to reserve a few hours at night for each other. We're busy but progressing, which feels good. School has gone well for both of us and we can hardly believe I'll be done in 6 months and Stuart is almost halfway through his.

In March we celebrated our 6 year wedding anniversary and then I went home to Scotland for 7 weeks by myself. I had a bit of a health scare but everything turned out ok AKA I don't have ovarian cancer. Phew! Whilst home I continued with school online and learned a few non-school related lessons. It was a pretty special time and although I missed Stuart so much I cherish having those 7 weeks alone with my mum and dad. How many 5th-of-6 kids can say they've had that? Those 7 weeks are a blur in my mind already. The feelings of being there are still close to the surface though. It was 2 months of love, memories, travels, family, dinners, faith, tears, hurt, and some heart healing. Mostly, growth.
I got home to Stuart at the end of April - when I first visited him in 2003 I flew out on almost the same day. In May I went insane and cut my hair... myself. Somehow (luckily) it turned out really cute. In June we both had a couple of weeks off school so we had a roadtrip up to Oregon and enjoyed the break. I was able to score a few things off my life list, like seeing Paul Bunyan and visiting a ghost town.
In July, on Stuart's birthday we welcomed our newest niece and waited impatiently for 8 weeks for her to be named. Baby Nora is practically named after me... Laura... Nora... no? Ok fine. Either way she's a little golden haired angel baby who lives in Denmark and I love her. Hopefully we'll get to meet her in December 2012 if we get to Scotland for Christmas.
In August we took a couple of little trips to Capitola and Santa Cruz. In September we drove up to Seattle to take care of some business and enjoyed a day in Bremerton.
October and November flew by faster than anything else and here we are now, in December back in Seattle for Christmas. In October we started our diet and exercise routine and in November I turned 26.

One of the parts of 2010 that stand out to me is the creative outlet and friendships SHEnanigans has provided me. Amidst the hustle and bustle of school, work and housekeeping it's been a perfect little escape.

I hope 2010 has treated you all well and that 2011 brings you all the happiness and love you need.

Happy Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

Trina said...

Beautiful post, Laura! Merry Christmas!

Chloe said...

You have had such a busy year! Your niece is gorgeous (and I think Nora IS a way of naming her after a Laura)!

I hope you've had a good Christmas and that you'll have a great New Year.

I'm excited to see what 2011 brings you and your blog, your posts are my favourite things to read on here! :)

Lindsay said...

i miss you sooo much!!! i forgot my birdie necklace on my trip to texas and kept crying for it... i'm so glad to be back close to it.. and you! :) (do i sound needy? k, cuz i am)