Friday, December 17, 2010

How to make it feel like Christmas.

I love Christmas and how it makes you long for familiarity. I love the feeling of Christmas, the spirit of it, if you will. No matter where I am Christmas means the same and the spirit feels the same but the traditions are different. I have an idea of how to make Christmas feel the best to me. I think everyone has a list of preferences when it comes to this time of year. There are traditions and triggers that fit my heart better than they might fit you. Immersing as many senses in the experience is what makes Christmas "effective" to me.


See: Christmas lights and sparkles on the tree, smiles, order, candle light, happy helpful hands, Christmas crafts...

Hear: Music and singing, laughter, stories, memories, my mum's knitting needles...

Taste: nibbles of Christmas treats aka "testing", hazelnut hot chocolate...

Smell: Spicy pumpkin, fresh baking, cinnamon and mint...

Feel: Warmth, comfort, love, peace, happiness and gratitude, home...

This year I'm seeking ways to take these feeling to the next level by breaking out of what I know works and supplementing them with new ideas. I never want to lose the feeling of Christmas amoungst the gift wrap and rushing around now that I've truly found it.

What are your Christmas essentials?

No comments: