Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January

January is what feels like the longest month of the year but if you're Scottish you have January 25th to look forward to and the food and dancing that come with it. Today is Robert Burns' 252nd birthday... how old is America? Kidding.

Most American's I've spoken to are unaware that they "know" who Robert Burns is. He wrote "Auld Lang Syne" and many other poems and many many songs in his Scottish dialect. In fact the title of John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men", is taken from Burns' "To a mouse" ("The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, Gang aft agley")

He's so celebrated that in school we have Burns competitions where we all memorise and recite Scottish poems prizes are given to the kids whose parents coached them the best - probably the Scottish equivalent of the American "science project" or "Rube Goldberg", or "Pinewood derby".



With his birthday being a national holiday and having statues of him all over Scotland it's probably not surprising The Bard's birthday is celebrated with a traditional meal. Haggis, neeps (turnips) and tatties (potatoes) will be served all over Scotland tonight.

It's days like today I get hungry for home.



You can see pictures of his home from when I visited here.
And here's a video too.

6 comments:

Trina said...

awesome!! What a great holiday! I'm jealous. :) I wonder if we could adopt it? Is that considered blasphemy?

Laura said...

NO! You absolutely should adopt it! It makes January feel shorter!

carla thorup said...

i just realized that i know absolutely nothing about scotland. and i almost spelled it with 2 t's! oh dear.

also, i'm visiting matt for a weekend in march- and i want to take a ferry somewhere- what and where should we take it to? email me?

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for th einspiration of your apron you had on in a photo a while ago. I used the inspiration to design one for a friend's daughter. I love your make up expierements.

Chloe said...

We had a bit of a Robert Burns themed English lesson today - we celebrate it even here in Wales!

I studied Of Mice and Men for GCSE so I read a little about Robert. I didn't realise he was celebrated with a day in Scotland before today though!

Lindsay said...

ahhh now it all makes sense..sorry i haven't been up on my blog checking. wah WAHH. i'm a bad friend.