Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pregnancy: Cravings

I've been trying my best to describe to Stuart what I've been experiencing through this pregnancy so he can understand why sometimes it seems like I'm going nuts.

Last night around 7pm I had a craving for chicken pakora from our favourite Indian restaurant. It was a desperate craving. Stuart asked, "are you sure you don't want some of the orange chicken I got for you that's in the fridge?" Big mistake. When a craving kicks in, don't question it. He learned that one fast! He left the room upset because I replied meanly and maybe louder than usual. He came back an hour later and asked if he should still go get the pakora. Yes.

I then tried to explain how a craving feels with a little analogy.

For me, these cravings feel almost the same as when I'm trying to recall a memory and it's almost there, on the verge of being remembered ie. on the tip of your tongue. It's close enough to remember how I felt but it's too foggy to remember the details...

Cravings are like that for me. The frustration that comes when you're desperately trying to remember a memory (or where you put your keys when you're running late) is what it feels like when I'm waiting for that food to get in my belly.

What do you think? Do you have an analogy for it?

9 comments:

Chiemi said...

No analogies, but I can remember just dying for things when pregnant with Darien that I couldn't get because they were only in California. I remember the day I was desperate for sushi. I actually thought I was going to cry.

~Kimi~ said...

Here's my analogy. It's like when you have a sudden, excruciating itch on your back. You get someone to scratch your back, but they have to scratch the EXACT right place to get the itch to go away. If they just scratch generally, you go even more crazy! When you get a craving, you gotta have EXACTLY the food you want, or you go nuts. :)

Greg and Michelle said...

That is exactly how I would describe it as well! Pregnancy does weird things to you doesn't it!

Aimee said...

Last night mine was Enchilads served with rice and beans from a little Mexican place I used to go to when I was younger which is now closed. I could almost taste it smell it, feel the gooey yumminess in my mouth. It happened about 9:30pm so we couldn't even go some where else. Taco Bell was not going to cut it. I went to bed with out. :(

bequi said...

I don't have an analogy, just a description. It is when I want something SO BAD, it is literally the only thing I can think about. Anthony will say, "What do you want for dinner?" I'll say, "A cheese calzone from Rusted Sun, and a side salad." He'll say, "I know, but that's a far drive. What about a Little Caesar's pizza, and I'll make you a salad?" I say, "No. I want Rusted Sun." Then I cry. Then we eat some stupid LC's pizza. Then we'll watch a movie. And I will sit on the couch and think about how pissed I am that I didn't get my calzone and salad. And Anthony will ask me what movie that guy was in, and I'll think, "Who cares, unless he can bring me a calzone and salad?!" And then it's time for bed, and I lay there and can't get comfortable because there isn't a calzone and salad in my tummy! And I wake up and think, "What do I want for breakfast? A CALZONE AND SALAD!" And for lunch I finally drive over and eat my amazingly delicious calzone and salad. and I save some for an afternoon snack. And I lick my fingers when I'm done and I sit on the couch all content. And then a while later, Anthony will ask, "What do you want for dinner?" And I will say, "A calzone and salad from Rusted Sun."

No Model Lady said...

Oh yes. Mine was Burger King's spicy chicken sandwich value meal BIGGIE sized. If it wasn't biggie sized we went back. Hence why I was so biggie sized after 9 months of that.

bethiepoos said...

I remember waiting outside for in and out burger to open. I was agitated that I couldnt get a burger and fries at 9am!! and I used to eat a jar of salsa with a spoon.... ahhh yummy! barf

Kamilli Vanilli said...

With my first, it was Subway and Jamba Juice. Together. Always. With my last, it was Chicken flavored Top Ramen. Seriously. Who craves that?

Rather than cravings, I mostly had aversions. I could not eat Mexican food with my first pregnancy...after a fatty piece of shredded beef in a taco ruined me forever...or at least until after I had the baby.

bethiepoos said...

when do we get to find out the flavour???? I am dying!!!