Thursday, September 15, 2011

The tale of one tooth.

This month I've experienced the wonder of gentle, efficient, prompt dental surgery and I marvel at the whole event.

Firstly, I've not had insurance for the whole time I've been here - almost 8 years.

Secondly, I had a root canal done in the wrong tooth 8 years ago in the UK.

Thirdly, when you have a root canal done in the wrong tooth and you don't have insurance for 8 years it means the original painful tooth is just going to rot and hurt more and more, year by year until one day you want to smash your own face in because it'll feel better than the constant aching and throbbing.

I contacted a man from church who's a dentist and didn't expect much to come of it. I was prepared to have to deal with my dental affliction for months longer before I either pulled the tooth out myself or we acquired dental insurance.

He phoned me on Saturday night and arranged to have me meet him at his office after church the next day. Whoa! An example of what we deal with back home is this:

Wendy, my oldest sister knocked her two front teeth out with her car door one day. She had to wait for two toothless months before getting to see a dentist...

I was astounded and excited by the turn of events of that Saturday night.

The next day I experienced some new fangled dental technology and listened to a dentist so passionate about what he was doing that Stuart ended up questioning his choice to be a Chiropractor. It was pretty amazing.

First he used a little topical anesthetic to the area he was going to inject with local anesthetic so it wouldn't hurt. Hullo! I have never had a dentist do that! They usually just go straight in with the jag and that's where the trauma begins.

Today I had the temporary filling replaced with my first ever, pretty, white filling. The last week and a half have been glorious - no ear ache AND I've been able to drink water without shooting pains in my tooth that made my eyes water.

I'm so thankful for people who are willing to help out people in need, people that they don't even know! That's compassion for you - and a blessing for me.

(This is absolutely worth blogging about for me. Have you seen my teeth?)

4 comments:

Chiemi said...

That's great that you had a good experience. My dentist was pretty great too. He even called me at home the next morning to make sure I was doing ok and didn't need any extra meds.

Kim said...

What an incredible story. Sorry you had to put up with an infected tooth for that many years, but I'm glad it's all fixed now.

emma said...

Oh. Yay for good people AND good dentistry! I'm glad for you because I know how it is.. I for the first time in my life now have a good dentist- it makes ALL the difference when you have confidence and trust in your dentist to take CARE of you and your teeth xx

Rachel said...

Seriously so exciting for you! And so generous of that guy...Tender mercies :)