Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oh mother, where art thou?

On Wednesday the 28th of December my mum turned up on my doorstep dressed as a Christmas tree. I suspected she was going to show up. In fact I was so confident about it that that was the first day I even got dressed (and showered) after having the baby. Lindsay delivered her to me and we went on to have a really great 2 weeks. We were able to get out of the house almost every day, ate a lot of tasty food, talked and laughed a lot, took a lot of pictures, snuggled with a baby a lot, bought a new couch set...

January 30th: Hayward Japanese Gardens
It meant the world to me to have her here. She had it planned and tickets bought since November not knowing when the baby would even be born. It was a stroke of luck that Autumn was 2 weeks early, giving us all plenty of time to spend relaxed with each other instead of in labour etc.

Oakland Temple
I'm not a terribly needy person - not openly anyway and so I was prepared to soldier on and deal with anything that came my way baby-wise but had really wanted my mum to be here. I was scared of post partum depression and not being able to spot it if it was happening. The chances of it happening would be less with my mum about and what do you know, no depression here! When I told her about my fear she said, "don't worry about that, it's not in your genes."

Crissy Field
I'd get up in the morning and the blinds and curtains would all be open, the dishes would be done and she'd be looking for more to do. I'd set up skype for her, I'd feed the baby, she'd settle the baby and send me back to sleep. I'd be happy to keep her here forever!


Autumn was all about Granny too and I think she became quite attached to the nickname granny gave her - Pandora. She loved her singing, bath time, the comfy lap and chin nibbles. She helped us get into a good daily routine and was happy to answer my motherhood questions and lend a hand at any moment. Autumn can turn a little feral through the night. My mum would often appear in our bedroom doorway offering to take the baby and try to settle her so I could get some rest before the next feed. I didn't always take her up on the offer but I certainly appreciated her 2am visits and her magic touch when I would hand the baby over.


The 2 weeks went by too quickly but I wasn't terribly sad to send her home to my lonely dad. They'll both be back in the summer and we'll get to have a new set of adventures and a chance to make some more memories.

I'm looking forward to that :)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I have been so behind on checking blogs! Pretty much Autumn is just beautiful! I have said it before but I am just tickled that your mom was able to come. You can learn so much just by having another seasoned mommy around :) It sounds like she was very helpful. I miss you! I am on skype now so we need to chat so I can see that baby! Love ya!