Friday, August 10, 2012

Summer, nostalgia and such.

Summer. 6 weeks of often rain with a little sunshine if we were lucky. How we used to live for those few weeks! I remember the last week of school before summer holidays being so exciting. We'd run out of school work and so the teacher would have us clean out our trays, take our projects and pictures off the walls, run little errands around school. We'd have longer breaks because there was less to do.

The last day of school would come. A half day. The whole morning was like one long sigh; no more homework! No more stress! No more teachers! Then we'd go home and would have nothing to do...

BUT, those bored-days aren't what I remember thinking back about summer. The first few weeks of summer for a good handful of years were spent picking strawberries in the field near my home. We'd go as a family and work from early in the morning to late afternoon to save up for our summer holiday. It was hard work. Hard, horrible work. I actually hated it more than pretty much anything. Kneeling all day in soggy, dirty driels (the rows strawberries are planted in), leaning over dusty strawberry plants and judging the fruit before sorting them into their classes. Thinking back I remember not working very hard but just hating it. My mum and dad would work all day long without any complaining. That's what parents do. Then we'd walk home and my mum would make dinner for us. The skin on her hands cracked and stained and there she'd be making us dinner... It's only when you look back that you recognise these things.

One summer I remember coming home from school knowing we wouldn't be going anywhere that year due to finances less existent than usual but my mum and dad had managed to buy us a few summer games to keep us entertained. Croquet and tether ball are the two I remember specifically. That was also the year my dad made us a pool by tying a huge blue tarp to the corners of the fence...

In recent summers with Stuart we've roadtripped to new places and made a point of getting out to see things instead of spending too much money on parks or amusements. We're probably in a very similar financial situation that my parents were in those strawberry picking years. Capitola, The Redwoods, Seattle, Salt Lake - so much to see and we're so easily entertained!

I love imagining what memories we'll make with Autumn. What will she remember most?

I'm looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Chiemi said...

I've only just now started to realized how wonderful summer can be. With one child out of school and myself as well I have truly started to enjoy summer time. Like you we don't have much financially, but we are trying. That's why I have my summer list. It's made this one of the best summers ever.

Scott and Stacia said...

Cute picture!! You both look like so beautiful!!

Lindsay said...

sweetest women i know.